If you are someone that has flat feet, or if you know someone that does, you may understand a little bit about what arches are, and how they help your feet each time you step. When people do not have these arches, other parts of their body have to do more work.
For this reason, many previously thought that their flat feet would keep them from doing common things, like running, which is no longer the case. There have been many advances in the shoe industry, where virtually anyone can find a shoe that meets their needs.
Here is a list of the best running shoes on the market if you have flat feet. They can keep you comfortable, and get you out there on the road.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Choose the Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet
- 2 Top 10 Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet 2019
- 2.1 1. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Structure 19 – Most Color Choices
- 2.2 2. Saucony Men’s Guide 10 – Very Lightweight
- 2.3 3. Adidas Men’s Cloudfoam Ultimate – Great Use of Memory Foam
- 2.4 4. Asics Women’s Gel-Venture 6 – Easy to Break In
- 2.5 5. Mizuno Men’s Wave Rider 20 – Well Made
- 2.6 6. New Balance Men’s 990v4 – Classic Look and Feel
- 2.7 7. Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18 – Long Lasting
- 2.8 8. ON Women’s Running Cloud Sneaker – Easiest to Put On
- 2.9 9. Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 13 – Great for Many Purposes
- 2.10 10. Brooks Men’s Beast 18 – Best All Weather Shoe
- 3 Conclusion
How to Choose the Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet
There are quite a few things to consider when you are searching for the right running shoe. It is unlikely that you can just go into a shoe store or shop online, without first doing some extra research and finding out everything you can about your own feet and the type of shoes that will suit them.
1. Important Aspects
Perhaps one of the most important ideas to understand about buying this product is what makes it different from a regular running shoe. While some aspects are exactly the same, others are much different.
- Shoes for those with flat feet can be rather expensive. You are likely to pay over 100 dollars for something that will be worth wearing, although there are shoes that cost a lot less. Keep this in mind while you are shopping, so you will understand what a good deal is.
Also, be aware of what you are willing and able to spend, so you won’t be out of a lot of money if they aren’t right for you, or if you do not use them very often.
- Since flat-footed runners don’t have arches or have very low arches, they need more support when they hit the ground. This support should be in the arch region of the shoe, as well as in other parts, like the heel.
If they have support in the proper places, they will never hurt you when you run and they will keep your ankles and knees from having to work too hard. Be sure the ones you choose have a great amount of protection, especially in the arches. If they don’t, they may be advertised wrong.
- Some shoes will be made of strong materials, in order to create a wide range of motion. This includes the soles and uppers, or backs, where they will be stiffer, but easy to work with. Others will have gel inside them, so you have a cushion when you step down.
Furthermore, this is so you won’t step down too hard and you won’t have to wear your medical inserts when you run. On the flip side, you should also pay attention to the materials that the shoe is made of. They need to be breathable as well as strong, so the shoe won’t make your feet sweat and will last.
- Since there is extra padding and features, you should know that some of these shoes will weigh more than you’re used to. For this reason, they may be harder to get used to or break in.
- Brand isn’t a big feature that should be considered, but there are many top name shoe brands that make options for those with flat feet. If you have worn a specific brand in the past, you might be able to find additional pairs from the same maker that you like. However, no one brand has an advantage over another in this category.
2. Know Your Feet
You absolutely can’t get a proper pair of shoes without first knowing what is going on with your own feet. If you suspect that you have flat feet or problems that cause your arches to fall, you need to see a podiatrist or foot doctor.
They will be able to pinpoint what is going on, and fit you for special orthotic inserts for you to wear in your day-to-day shoes. These can also be worn in some models of running shoes.
3. Get them Measured
Take the time to get your feet professionally measured as well. This can save you a lot of time, since you will know the exact size of your feet. You won’t have to go around checking a lot of different shoes to see what fits you in the proper manner.
4. Determine What You Like
Wearing something you don’t like is no fun. You should be able to proudly flaunt your shoes, so be sure that you find something that you like. This can be something with a wild color, a certain brand, or even a scheme that matches all your running gear.
There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to aesthetics, so feel free to get what you want. There are countless colors and styles to choose from, or you can even pick something that is plain and won’t get you noticed.
5. Try Some Out
At the end of the day, you have to know if you can wear a pair of shoes comfortably or not. When shopping online, this is harder, since you have to order shoes and then send them back if they do not work.
Alternatively, you can go to a shoe store and look at a pair you have been checking out, to see how they fit you before you buy online. This way you get to try them out and know if they look and feel as good as they looked on the website.
You can also read reviews for shoes online or do searches for them to see what other people have to say about them. Of course, you will want to read between the lines on some reviews, since often consumers are too fussy when buying items, or want to be contrary.
Top 10 Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet 2019
1. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Structure 19 – Most Color Choices
This shoe is available in over 40 different color choices, so there is bound to be something that is just right for your tastes. It is constructed of rubber and has a synthetic upper. This upper is also mesh and is very breathable, making this one great for running in different temperatures, even hot ones.
You can also expect a good amount of traction when you’re wearing these, as your foot will be able to run correctly. This may be due to the fact that there is a specialized pattern on the sole. Some people that own the shoe had to upsize it or they couldn’t get the proper fit. Keep that in your mind if you want to purchase this pair.
- Many colors and styles available
- Very breathable
- Offers a great amount of traction
- Might need to size up
2. Saucony Men’s Guide 10 – Very Lightweight
These shoes are extremely lightweight, so they won’t weigh you down when you are running. The way they are constructed is seamless, so you can’t feel big seams on sensitive parts of your feet when you are wearing these. They also give you stability, because they have cushioning throughout the shoe. It is designed to keep your foot properly aligned.
Another thing that sets these apart is that the sole is flexible, since the pattern is broken up to allow the foot to have full movement. The color scheme is also the same on the top and bottom of the shoe, which is an exciting design feature. If you are using them indoors or on certain types of floors, they may squeak. This can be embarrassing and get you noticed in a way you don’t like.
- Lightweight mesh upper
- Gives you stability
- Has a seamless feel
- May squeak on some surfaces
3. Adidas Men’s Cloudfoam Ultimate – Great Use of Memory Foam
This Cloudfoam shoe has a great amount of memory foam, especially in the heel area. In other words, this means you are unlikely to feel the pavement each time you step. They are made of breathable material, meaning they won’t make your feet feel too hot.
You will even be able to wear whatever socks you want comfortably. In fact, they are comfortable enough to use every day, no matter where you need to go. Please note that the shoe tongue is not separate and is built into the upper of the shoe. This makes the shoes a little harder to put on, especially if you have a wider foot.
- Great amount of memory foam
- Breathable top
- Comfortable enough to use every day
- Shoe tongue is not separate
4. Asics Women’s Gel-Venture 6 – Easy to Break In
If you like interesting color choices, this is something that you will like. They won’t necessarily match with your attire, but they might be conversation pieces. Available color schemes include black and pink, peach and gray, and more.
These have a removable sock liner, so you can use your inserts if need be. This lets you decide how much support you have. They also don’t really have a breaking in period, since they will feel just right as soon as you use them the first time.
Many utilize these for working as well, especially when they stand on their feet for multiple hours a day. Others feel that they do not have enough cushion for any task, which again, can be remedied by using a prescription insole or purchasing some commercially made ones of your own.
- Has removable sock liner
- Can use right out of the box
- Interesting color choices
- Great for working out too
- Not enough cushion for some
5. Mizuno Men’s Wave Rider 20 – Well Made
It is very crucial to understand that this shoe is rather pricey, no matter what size or style you choose. However, this is partly because they are so well made.
They can be used for quite a long time without any problems, especially when they are taken care of properly. These are perfect for those with wider feet, so if you have them, these can accommodate you.
Many of the shoes made by this brand are for neutral running, which means you aren’t high up off the ground each time you step. These are no exception and give you a smooth landing each time you step down. You won’t feel like you are wearing high heels or large boots.
- Durable construction
- Gives you a smooth landing each time
- Good for wider feet
6. New Balance Men’s 990v4 – Classic Look and Feel
When you think of running shoes, this style is likely something that you have in your mind. These shoes have been around for years and have not changed much in terms of style.
They are also available in classic colors like gray, black, and blue, but there are off-the-wall colors as well. Some other options include yellow, pink, red, brown, and olive drab. They have real leather uppers, which is something that you don’t often see, and they still won’t cause a lot of sweating in your feet, since there are mesh inserts in strategic locations all over the shoe.
These are also available in many different widths, so if you have a foot that is hard to find a good fit for, you may be able to find it with these New Balance shoes. One thing to note is that you may want to add insoles to these too, if you are someone that needs a lot of padding on the bottom of the foot.
- Have a classic design
- Made of real leather
- Won’t make your feet sweat
- Available in different widths
- May still need to wear padded insoles
7. Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18 – Long Lasting
By all accounts, these shoes last a long time. They have a lot of support in some areas and not so much in others. For example, the ankle is cushioned, so that you won’t step wrong or cause your ankle to go out of alignment. At the same time, the heel doesn’t have as much support as some people desire.
Besides just helping those with flat feet, it helps other foot problems as well. People with high arches, shin splints, and other issues also can get comfort from this pair of Brooks shoes.
- Cushioned ankle
- Don’t wear easily
- Alleviate many types of foot pain
- Not a lot of support in some areas
8. ON Women’s Running Cloud Sneaker – Easiest to Put On
Putting these shoes on is almost fun, considering you don’t have to tie them up each time. They have a special lacing system, which stays in place, so you always have a perfect fit.
Another cool feature is the ankle strap that goes around the outer of the shoe. This keeps the shoe stable, and also gives you a personalized fit. You can be sure the back of your foot and ankle will have the proper support.
Each color has reflective logos on them, so you can be seen at might. One downside is that you have to be careful if it is rainy or wet. These shoes could cause you to slide around or fall in the wrong conditions. Make sure you only wear them in dry weather, as this is where they shine.
- Employs a special lacing system
- Has a heel strap
- Easy to put on
- Have reflective patches
- May cause slipping in rainy conditions
9. Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 13 – Great for Many Purposes
Those that own these shoes like that they are great for running. They are handy for other things too, like playing sports, walking around, and even working out. It is hard to find a shoe that can work well through all these tasks. The arch support is lacking, so this is another pair where you may need insoles.
The midsole is what makes these so comfortable, since they are flexible. They are made of special foam that helps you move however you need to, without restricting you.
The soles are also strong, and offer enough support in the foot bed to keep most feet happy. You will be able to move how you want and you will not hurt your feet or ankles.
- Flexible midsole
- Great for moving around
- Strong soles
- Arch support is lacking
10. Brooks Men’s Beast 18 – Best All Weather Shoe
If you live somewhere that sees many different types of weather throughout the year, this shoe can feel at home in your closet. You can wear them in any type of weather, and they will be able to perform.
The number of features they boast may also impress you. They have a lining that wicks moisture, they keep your ankles in the correct place so each step is properly in line, and offer a great amount of cushion.
One con is that some people may need to be careful with them especially those with larger feet. However, if you are on the heavier side, these will support you well.
- Can wear in different types of weather
- Keeps your ankles in the right place
- Work well for larger people
- Lining keeps moisture away
- Must be careful with them
Finding the right pair of shoes for your flat feet doesn’t have to be a chore when you know how to shop for them. It is mainly a matter of getting your feet checked, measured, and figuring out what you like and need. Having a budget also helps. There isn’t much more to it than that.
Each pair of shoes on this list can help those with flat feet run comfortably. Many can also be a friend to them when completing other tasks, which can be a real lifesaver.
There are a couple that really stand out though. The top model for men is the New Balance Men’s 990v4. Not only do they come in many different colors, but they are also available in many different widths. Shoe widths can be a real problem, especially for those with narrow feet. They aren’t overly fancy, but they do the job and they will not make your feet hot while doing it. You can even wear your own insoles with them if you want to.
For women, the ON Women’s Running Cloud Sneakers are different from the norm. The unique laces and straps give you a fit that is just for your own feet, and they are easy to put on. They have many air-pocketed sections to give you a fair amount of cushioning, and work well in dry conditions. Moreover, they look cool and have reflective patches to keep you visible.